Letting Go of My News Corp Witch Hunt

When the story broke in the UK about how News Corp’s News of the World illegally apprehended phone numbers and tapped in on calls, I ran to the scene as fast as I could and read everything I could.   I sat on my thoughts for over 24 hours, as Abraham Lincoln had taught me, before I said a single word.  I wrote up a status update indicting News Corp on my facebook account and just couldn’t press send.  I believed what I wrote, but didn’t want to air it out to my facebook friends because you’re not supposed to talk politics, religion, sex, mathematics, philosophy, or anything that really interests me out there.

I slept on it another day and again I was still mad about how News Corp executives get away with pleads of ignorance about crimes that would send me to jail for the rest of my life if I tried the same defense.  So I wrote that facebook post again and again I just couldn’t press send.  I turned my facebook status post into a blog post that you may have seen here.   But I still wanted to shout from the rooftops about how unfair it is that a media company that is so influential in proposing what a country talks about can so easily flip the bird at legality and operate with impunity.  Writing the blog post made me feel better, but I still wanted to air it out on facebook, I couldn’t make my aggravation over the issue go away.

Finally, on Friday July 22, I let my facebook post rip.  I believe everything I said, but still regret sending it.  I mean, when I said that Rupert, James, and the red head should be sent to the pillory to rot in the sun and rain, I didn’t mean to say I wanted them dead, I just wanted them out there for a couple days to learn some humility before they were sent to jail for the same sentence a commoner would have received.

 As I have documented about Charles Montesquieu, no one wants the truth.  My own feeble virtue was naught but a lunatic’s rant to most people who read it.  Lou Holtz, the famous football coach, once said: “never talk about your problems, 90% of people don’t care, and the other 10% are glad you have them”.  I just couldn’t help it though, I posted my rant on facebook and I can’t take it back.

So, the weekend came and went and even after more reflection I just could not let the story go.  I was reading about it on Google news but I noticed I hadn’t seen this story being broadcast like it started out.  It was the top story on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams for three days in a row and then mysteriously stopped getting coverage.  I thought to myself: Et tu NBC?  Then I remembered that NBC’s parent company is General Electric and it made more sense that NBC wouldn’t cover that story anymore either; honor amongst thieves is an age-old tradition.  NBC had literally ceased all coverage of this story.

As I searched for more reading material, I was reminded about the time when Judith Regan was having sex with NYC’s top cop and how the story just went away.  I thought to myself: duh, this phone tapping story is just going to go away too.  I guess I was so mad about it because my dad still watches Fox News and I love him so much.  I hate that Fox News can put out lie after lie and spin after spin and just get away with it.  I thought for sure they’d finally pull the lid off that rat’s nest and my dad wouldn’t be served propaganda anymore, I was a fool.

 Then Amy Winehouse died and it became the top story of the world.  A talented young woman with a horrible drug addiction finally succumbed to her demons.   I understand the public sympathy, but when this story eclipsed every other story being broadcast in America and overshadowed a silly little flap about an international media conglomerate’s corruption that involved the top police chief and the country’s prime minister, I knew I needed to stand down.

Even though I completely believe News Corporation is a propaganda machine that Fidel Castro himself could only dream of emulating, I just have to let go.  God grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to accept the things I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference.  It’s time for me to wise up and carry on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *